Many physically active smart watch owners want to use the maximum of their gadget’s ability to:
- work out;
- swim and dive with the Apple Watch;
- don`t part with them, taking a shower or bath.
Let’s see what actually iWatch can do in an aquatic environment?
Waterproofness and moisture resistance of Apple Watch — different concepts
According to the instructions on how to use iWatch, the smart watch has a degree of protection against moisture IPX7 according to the IES 60 529. This means that they can have no harmful effects at a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes. If the depth and time increase, the device may lose its moisture resistance.Obviously, before assigning such a degree of protection, the company made the appropriate tests. However, Apple explains that compliance with IPX7 protects against accidental moisture exposure:
- rain drops;
- sweat during exercise;
- splashing water while washing hands.
So, Apple Watch is no waterproof. And the question: is it possible to swim in salt or fresh water in iWatch, the manufacturer responds unequivocally no. In the hours there are no applications for water training. However, this does not stop. Curious users arrange smart watches with water tests, with which the latter can do very well.The iPhone application developer Craig Hockenbury, who likes to swim with iWatch in the ocean, claims that after two months of active water training, they work like new ones. Craig notes only a couple of points:
- The capacities display under the water doesn`t respond (although it is quite distinct), so the Workout application must be launched on land.
- Salt water contains minerals with high electrical conductivity.
- To avoid breakage, after contact with such a medium, the watch should be thoroughly rinsed with clean water.
Curious fact: Tim Cook, Apple CEO, told the press that he takes a shower in iWatch and they are fine.
What is the difference between Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch?
Unfortunately, the modification of «Sport» isn`t richer in terms of sports functions. The difference is in more budgetary materials of the case and the display and the equipment from the manufacturer. On the question: can I swim or take a bath in Apple Watch Sport — the exact answer yet. But practice shows that it’s worth trying.
Why doesn`t Apple recommend water dives?
There are two possible answers:
- The manufacturer is reinsured: the product is new, tested for a long time with prolonged exposure to water, the protective layer can be broken, moisture penetrates to the working nodes, and a breakdown will occur that will cause user complaints.
- A cunning marketing move: the buyer expects less, but gets more opportunities. It’s nice, isn`t it?
Still we want to believe that in the near future Apple will have a model of smart watches, which the company will officially declare waterproof and the ability to swim with iWatch without fear of spoiling the gadget.